Homeless/Foster Care Information

If you live in any of the following situations:

  • In a shelter, motel, vehicle, or campground
  • On the street
  • In an abandoned building, trailer, or other inadequate accommodations, or
  • Doubled up with friends and/or relatives because you cannot find or afford housing

Then, you have certain rights or protections under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act. These rights include:

  • Going to school, no matter where you live or how long you have lived there. You must be given access to the same public education provided to other students.
  • Continuing in the school you attended before you became homeless or the school you last attended, if that is your choice and is feasible.
  • Receiving transportation to the school you attended before you became homeless.
  • Attending and participating in school programs with students who are not homeless.
  • Enrolling in school without giving a permanent address.
  • Enrolling and attending classes while the school arranges for transfer of school and immunization records.
  • Enrolling and attending classes in the school of your choice, even while the school and you seek to resolve a dispute over enrollment. 
  • Receiving the same special programs and services, if needed, as provided to all other students served in these programs.
  • Receiving transportation to school and to school programs.

If you believe you may be eligible, please contact Armada Area Schools local liaison, Ms. Rory Ayotte at (586) 784-2419 or rayotte@armadaschools.org, or MISD School Health Education and Homeless Consultant Ms. Sara Orris at (586) 228-3460 or sorris@misd.net, to identify what services and supports may be available.

If you need further assistance with your educational needs, please contact the National Center for Homeless Education at 1-800-308-2145, homeless@serve.org, https://nche.ed.gov/.